You can access many of the links free, you may need to register for some.
General Computer Skills
Learn My Way – Free online courses for beginners, helping you develop digital skills to make the most of the online world. Free courses on using a computer, browsing the web, internet skill, online safety (need to register for some courses).
General Study Skills
- Study Strategies for Success – This Interactive guide from Manchester University explores different study strategies ; Duration: 20 minutes
- Mindset: Change your approach to learning – This online Tutorial from Manchester University introduce different approaches to learning ; Duration: 15 min
- The student guide to social media – This Interactive guide is from Manchester university introduces some social media tool ; Duration: 30 minutes
Information Searching Skills
- Searching Literature Effectively– This eLfH online tutorial contains 7 STEP eLearning modules, to access you need to register with eLfh or use your OpenAthens. Duration: each module around 20 minutes.
- Identify your Question – This online tutorial from North Staffordshire will identify the search question when developing your search strategy. Duration: 15 minutes.
- Using PICO – This online tutorial from North Staffordshire will introduce PICO. Duration: 15 minutes.
- PubMed tutorials – These online tutorials introduce search techniques using pubmed
- Pubmed MESH search – This online tutorial is about purpose and structure of the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) Duration: 20 minutes
Critical Appraisal Skills
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods – This online tutorial from University of Nottingham introduces qualitative and quantitative methods of research.Duration: 15 minutes.
- Evidence Hierarchy – This tutorial from Health Library North Staffordshire is a brief overveiw of what the evidence hierarchy is. Duration: 20 minutes.
- Present like a pro: planning your way to success– This online tutorial from University of Nottingham introduces some useful techniques about presentations.Duration: 20 minutes.
- Present like a pro: the art of delivery – This online tutorial from University of Nottingham introduces some useful techniques about delivering presentations.Duration: 20 minutes.
- Report Writing – This online tutorial from University of Manchester Library explores key elements of producing a written report. Including, structure, purpose, language and referencing.
Duration: 30 minutes.
- Interpreting your assignment- This resource from University of Leeds will guide you through how to interpret your assignment tasks, from analysing the different parts of the title and brief to what question you need to consider before putting pen to paper. Duration: 15 minutes
- Being critical: thinking, reading and writing critically – This online tutorial from the University of Manchester Library explores how to be critical, highlighting practical strategies you can use in your academic reading and writing that will enable you to demonstrate critical analysis in your assignments. Duration: 15 minutes
- Introduction to Referencing and Plagiarism – This audio eTutorial is from North Staffordshire Health Library. Duration: 8 minutes
- Original thinking allowed: avoiding plagiarism – This online resource from University of Manchester Library explores some of the issues surrounding academic integrity, providing you with techniques to help you to avoid plagiarism when referring to the work of others and to add your own voice into your work. Duration: 20 minutes
Referencing Skills (links to Tutorials & guides)
- Harvard Reference Tutorial – This online tutorial from University of Leeds introduces Leeds University Harvard style referencing
- Imperial College Referencing guides – guides to Harvard and Vancouver style referencing
- Referencing online suppport guides – from Exeter University
- Referencing information and Digital literacy-from Sheffield University
Learnhigher – resources on essay writing, academic writing, proofreading and more, including self-paced courses, podcasts and information guides
SkiilsyouNeed – easy-to-read information about essential life skills
Royal Literary Fund: Resources – in-depth writing guides aimed at students: Writing essays: a guide, and The dissertation guide.
Online Writing Lab – Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab (OWL) contains a wealth of advice on various aspects of the writing process.
Disclaimer The Library is not responsible for the content of external sites. No responsibility can be accepted for any action taken on the basis of information found on these sites.