What is revalidation?
“Revalidation is a single process where doctors will be required to demonstrate their continued fitness to practise based on a local evaluation of their performance through the appraisal process. The purpose of revalidation is to assure patients and the public, as well as employers and other healthcare professionals, that doctors registered with a licence are up to date and fit to practice. All licensed doctors will need to revalidate on a regular basis if they wish to keep their licence to practise.” from Academy of Royal Medical Colleges
According to British Medical Association(BMA) “Revalidation is the process for doctors to assure the General Medical Council (GMC) that they are up to date and fit to practice”.
Revalidation was introduced in 2013 and is compulsory for all doctors. To revalidate doctors must have a regular appraisal based on the GMC Good Medical Practice guidelines. The first recommendations for revalidation took place in April 2013
How the Library can help you?
As part of the revalidation process, all licensed doctors will have to demonstrate every five years that they are up to date and fit to practise.
The GMC GMP Framework for Appraisals & Revalidation is divided into four domains:
1. Knowledge, skills and performance
2. Safety and quality
3. Communication, partnership and teamwork
4. Maintaining trust
It is in the first domain – Knowledge, Skills & Performance – that the Library & Knowledge Service can help you find the necessary evidence of best practise, so you in turn, can demonstrate your fitness to practise.
To help you find the evidence, we offer the following services & training:
- We can do information searches for you on your chosen subjects
- We can provide training in information search skills so you can develop the skills to find the evidence for yourself
- We can obtain for you journal articles & publications which you might need to read to stay abreast of developments in your field of expertise
- We can email you the contents pages of the current issue of any journal as it is published, even journals we don’t subscribe to, you can keep up to date with latest research from our Current Awareness Portal.
General Revalidation Information
The GMC has produced a variety of documents to inform doctors of the requirements for appraisal and revalidation.
GMC – Revalidation
GMC Good Medical Practice – Download the entire document or read the section you need here.
GMC CPD Guidance for all Doctors – Sets out the principles of CPD and how to plan, carry out and evaluate your CPD.
GMC Supporting Information for Appraisal and Revalidation – Detailed information about the documents you will need to support your appraisal and revalidation.
GMC Information for Doctors – Links to pages explaining about revalidation and what you need to do to complete it.
Royal Colleges & Professional Bodies Revalidation Information
E Learning Courses & Podcasts
e-learning package is available from Royal College of Physicians
These online learning modules take about 45 – 60 minutes to complete and cover a range of key topics helpful for both appraisees and appraisers. The modules are hosted on the BMJ learning platform and any doctor is able to register for free access.
- Getting the most out of your appraisal
- Top tips on developing your PDP
- Quality improvement activity for appraisal and revalidation
- Challenge in appraisal
- Calibrating supporting information in medical appraisal
- Tips for appraisers
Podcasts & webinars (need to register to access)
The podcasts are a collection of several short bite sized films (3-4 minutes) covering a range of key topics, helpful for both appraisees and appraisers.